Monday, October 20, 2014

Stealing TIme

An amazing lady and author in my church group recently spoke to a group of us about her writing.  As she was speaking there were little phrases that jumped out at me--things to learn.
She said that she wrote here and there as her children were at home and little, but after her fifth and final child was born, she felt a change...a pull to really do more and spend time on those projects.  A few years and eleven books later, she says she continues to "steal time"; writing a sentence quickly and running back to the stove to stir the sauce she'd been cooking for dinner, thinking about her book as she works.
I've just had my fifth and final baby (and oh how I love him!) and I feel the beckoning thoughts again whispering that there is something more for me now.

Another amazing woman and neighbor says that doing the laundry is her favorite time to spend in conversation with God.  As she does the mundane things that need to be done, she gives her thoughts to meditation.
What do I do as I do the laundry...or ironing...or dishes?  Usually Netflix. Or the radio. 

I was reading the short biography of Elder Eyering on lds.org yesterday and it shares a story of his father asking him what he thinks about when his thoughts wander, and knowing that that is what you're passionate about, that is what you should be doing with your life.
And I thought...I don't even know what I think about, because I don't allow my thoughts to wander.  I fill up all the little moments with silly little things. 

I think what I'm supposed to learn is that all the little stolen minutes add up to a lifetime of staying in touch with my Father in Heaven. "Let us search and try our ways, and turn again unto the Lord (Lamentations 3:40)." Living my life, doing the things that need to be done, but bringing Him with me, and in every moment I can, turning to Him again and again.

No comments: